Docker Mastery: with Kubernetes + Swarm from a Docker Captain
Build, Test, Deploy containers with the best mega-course on Docker, Kubernetes, Compose, Swarm and Registry using DevOps
What you'll learn
- How to use Docker, Compose and Kubernetes on your machine for better software building and testing
- Learn Docker and Kubernetes official tools from an award-winning Docker Captain!
- Gain the skills to build development environments with your code running in containers.
- Build Swarm and Kubernetes clusters for server deployments!
- Hand’s on with best practices for making Dockerfiles and Compose files like a Pro!
- Build and publish your own custom images!
- Create your own custom image registry to store your apps and deploy in corporate environments.
- No paid software required – Just install your favourite test editor and browser!
- Local admin access to install Docker for Mac/Windows/Linux
- Understand terminal or command prompt basics
- Linux basics like shells, SSH, and package managers. (tips included to help newcomers!)
- Know the basics of creating a server in the cloud (on any provider). (tips included to help newcomers!)
- Understand the basics of web and database servers. (how they typically communicate, IP’s, ports, etc.)
- Have a GitHub and Docker Hub account.
Why should you learn from me? Why trust me to teach you the best ways to use Docker?
Hi, I’m Bret, please allow me to talk about myself for a sec 🙂
- I’m A Practitioner. Welcome to the real world: I’ve got 20 years of sys admin and developer experience, over 30 certifications, and have been using Docker and the container ecosystem for my consulting clients and my own companies since Docker’s early days. Learn from someone who’s run hundreds of containersacross dozens of projects and organizations.
- I’m an Educator. Learn from someone who knows how to make a syllabus: I want to help you. People say I’m good at it. For the last few years, I’ve trained thousands of people on using Docker in workshop, conferences, and meetups. See me teach at events like DockerCon, O’Really Velociity, GOTO Conf, and Linux Open Source Summit. I hope you’ll decide to learn with me, and joint he fantastic online Docker community.
- I Lead Communities. Also, I’m a Docker Captain, meaning that Docker Inc. thinks I know a thing or two about Docker and that I do well in sharing it with others. In the real-world: I help run two local meetups in our fabulous tech community in Norfolk/Virginia Beach USA. I help online: usually in Slack and Twitter, where I learn from and help others.
Some of the many cool things you’ll do in this course:
- Edit web code on your machine while it’s served up in a container.
- Lock down your apps in private networks that only expose necessary ports
- Create a 3-node Swarm cluster in the cloud
- Install Kubernetes and learn the leading server cluster tools
- Use Virtual IP’s for built-in load balancing in your cluster
- Optimize your Dockerfiles for faster building and tiny deploys
- Build/Publish your own custom application images
- Learn the differences between Kubernetes and Swarm
- Create your own image registry
- Use Swarm Secrets to encrypt your environment configs, even on disk
- Deploy container updates in a rolling always-up design
- Create the config utopia of a single set of YAML files for local dev, CI testing, and prod cluster deploys
- And so much more..
After taking this course, you’ll be able to:
- Use Docker in your daily developer and/or sysadmin roles
- Deploy apps to Kubernetes
- Make Dockerfiles and Compose files
- Build multi-node Swarm clusters and deploying H/A containers
- Make Kubernetes YAML manifests and deploy using infrastructure-as-code methos
- Build a workflow of using Docker in dev, then test/CI, then production with YAML
- Protect your keys, TLS certificates, and passwords with encrypted secrets
- Keep your Dockerfiles and images small, efficient, and fast
- Run apps in Docker\, Swarm, and Kubernetes and understand the pros/cons of each
- Develop locally while your code runs in a container
- Protect important persistent data in volumes and bind mounts
- Lead your team into the future with the latest Docker container skills!
Who this course is for
- Software developers, sysadmins, IT pros, and operators at any skill level.
- Anyone who makes, deploys, or operates software on servers.